Catch a Crucian Competition – July, August and September 2019
Enter our brand new photo competition here – Great prizes to be won
Welcome to the four annual Catch a Crucian Competition. Most competitions in fishing revolve around catching the biggest or the most fish but this initiative from Britain’s crucian enthusiasts to promote their favourite species is to be judged more on the quality of the photography rather than the size of the captures.
Entrants will even find some top tips for taking a great fishing photo, which award winning film maker Hugh Miles has kindly produced for the event.
There will be three categories for entries with the best three photos in each going into a final:
Best Crucian Photo
Best Scenic Photo of a Crucian Water
Best Photo of a Junior with a Crucian
Thanks to some generous sponsorship from Angling Direct and Dynamite Baits each of the three main winners gets a £100 Angling Direct tackle voucher, plus a special Dynamite Baits bundle of crucian groundbaits, pellets and additives.
Our judges will choose three finalists in each category and all nine finalists will receive the Dynamite Baits package and a signed certificate. All appropriate entries will be displayed on the competition website and we are hoping for a great selection for the judges to choose from.
The competition will run throughout July, August and September 2019 and is intended to promote crucians and their conservation, to assist in the recognition of true crucians, to encourage more anglers to take up crucian fishing and to highlight the need to develop specific crucian waters in line with the aims of the National Crucian Conservation Project.
How to enter
Simply complete the form below to register for the competition, then head out crucian fishing with your camera and get snapping!
REGISTRATIONS OPEN ON July 1st
Don’t worry if you’ve not got the latest SLR camera as we’ve seen some great shots taken on a good old smartphone. We have even produced some top tips for taking great fishing photos, which award winning film maker Hugh Miles has kindly produced for the event you can read them HERE
There will be four categories for entries with the best three photos in each going into in a final:
Best Crucian Photograph – This could be single ‘bar of gold’, big or small – it doesn’t matter – or a nice catch of crucians beautifully arranged against a lovely backdrop, or even just a gorgeous profile of our favourite fish. The choice is yours!
Best Scenic Photograph of a Crucian Water – Crucian fishing is as much about the scene and the atmosphere as it is about fishing. A red-topped float quivering amongst an explosion of pinhead bubbles; the mist rising off the water from a secluded and timeless pond; or the setting sun lighting up the lilies and casting shadows over the water as the fish begin to stir. A good picture can convey so many of the reasons we love fishing for crucians.
Best Photograph of a Junior with a Crucian – There are few images to rival the sense of wonderment on a youngsters face as they hold or return a particularly beautiful fish. We want kids to share our love of crucians so why not take yours, or your friends, down to the local crucian pond as see if you can capture that magic moment.
Thanks to some generous sponsorship from Angling Direct, Dynamite Baits and Medlar Press, each of the three main winners gets a £100 Angling Direct tackle voucher, plus a special Dynamite Baits bundle containing crucian groundbaits, pellets and additives. In addition, they will also receive a copy of Peter Rolfe’s latest book Always Summer and have the opportunity to fish his private crucian pools in Wiltshire!
Our judges will choose three finalists in each category and all nine finalists will receive the Dynamite Baits bait package.
- The competition is open to all UK residents with the exception of Angling Trust employees.
- All fish and scenes entered must be taken in the UK during July, August or September 2019.
- Only true crucians will be considered and entrants are encouraged to visually check for signs of hybridisation using the information here before submitting entries – Crucian ID Guide on Angling Trust Website.
- All videos or photo entries must be taken by the entrant.
- We can only accept digital images.
- You can enter a maximum of three photos (one in each category). Make sure the file size of each is at least 1Mb.
- Please include your name, address and details of the capture/scene with each entry.
- The closing date for entries to the competition is October 4th 2019
- Judging will take place within 2 weeks of the closing date and we’ll contact all prize-winners within 21 days.
- The Angling Trust will not accept responsibility for lost or damaged entries.
- The copyright of the entire image/video must belong to the entrant.
- All suitable entries will be published on the Catch a Crucian website.
- Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs/videos that they submit. By entering the competition entrants grant the organisers a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free licence to use, reproduce, and publish images/videos entered into the competition.
- Media will be allowed to publish images entered free of charge for the purpose of promoting the photography competition without express permission from the photographer. The organisers will try to ensure all images used by the media are credited to the photographer.
TO ENTER COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION FORM BELOW. ONCE YOU HAVE REGISTERED YOU WILL BE SENT AN EMAIL EXPLAINING HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PHOTO/PHOTOS
We are hoping that this competition will create a renewed interest in true crucians and their habitat, both of which are under threat from changing agricultural practices and through thoughtless stocking policies which are resulting in more and more hybridisation. We are particularly grateful to our sponsors at Bait-Tech, Angling Direct and M Press and to our esteemed panel of judges for making this competition possible.